31.8.13

Deborah Harry

Blondie singer Debbie Harry has accused Madonna of stealing her look when she rose to fame in the 1980s.

Harry was an up-and-coming musician when Madonna became a pop sensation with her self-titled debut album in 1982, and is convinced the Like a Virgin singer got the idea for her platinum blonde hairdo from the now-62-years-old star.

She says "I came right up against the Madonna thing. Maybe it's my paranoia but she had a lot of my looks. If you look closely, sometimes there are pictures of her and me that completely overlap.

"She(Madonna) was getting such a huge push from Warner Bros., I was definitely on the B-list. It was a hard peiod for me. I don't think anybody knew how to market me or what to do with me. I was like a fish out of water."





2 comments:

  1. These are incredibly facile comparisons. Beyond a stretch. What Madonna "took" from Debbie was "blonde sex goddess as popstar," something Debbie veered into only after softening her punk roots. But Debbie had left the scene (for admirable reasons) and was "too old" by the time Madonna was vamping and ramping up. There was no theft, merely inspiration,and Madonna has spoken admiringly of Debbie. To have an entire blog about an artist being a copycat is pathetic and a waste of time. You should spend your time on things you love, not on things you clearly don't understand and clearly hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No they are not. We left out about a dozen others. Debbie was an INNOVATOR and an ARTIST who would not suck corporate dick and play the game. HER punk roots are assured unlike Wallis Simpson brown noser douchedonna.

    ReplyDelete